One of the oldest and largest trade organizations in the insurance field, NAIFA was founded on June 18, 1890 in Boston as the National Association of Life Underwriters. NAIFA celebrated 100 years of industry leadership with Voices From the Field (PDF).
NAIFA in History
- In 1928, NALU moved its headquarters to New York City and then eventually relocated to Washington, D.C., in 1956.
- In 1951, NALU created the conference, General Agents and Managers Association (GAMA), to enhance the quality and capability of the insurance industry's field management.
- In 1957, NALU formed the Association for Advanced Life Underwriting (AALU) to support advanced life insurance underwriters, agents engaged in complex areas of life insurance, such as, business continuation planning, estate planning, retirement planning, deferred compensation, and employee benefits planning.
- In 1990, a third conference of NALU, the Association of Health Insurance Agents (AHIA) was formed to sustain and enhance the business environment for health insurance agents and to improve the financing and delivery of health care in the United States of America.
- On September 29, 1999, the National Council delegates voted to change the association's formal name from the National Association of Life Underwriters to National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors, NAIFA.
- NAIFA has been committed to improving the quality of life for Americans and addressing social problems since 1956 when the association first started developing community service programs.
- NAIFA local associations currently volunteer in social programs for health care, homelessness, youth education, AIDS awareness, drug/alcohol awareness, the family, senior citizens, U.S. crisis relief efforts and more.
- Between 1981 and 1989, NAIFA public service programs were honored six times by the Reagan and Bush Administrations' Private Initiatives Program.
- In May 2000, NAIFA moved into its new headquarters in Falls Church, Va., after 40 years at 1922 F Street, N.W., Washington, D.C.
NAIFA is The National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors. Founded in 1890 as NALU turned NAIFA, has a federation comprised of 50 State Associations and over 600 local associations, representing more than 40,000 financial service professionals. For more information abotu NAIFA, contact us at email@example.com.